a little draggable Razputin for your dash
haha yeah man I’m kicking MAJOR ASS here
look at how low that water level is
(also I have a lot more health than that but one of the many glitches I’ve gotten playing this game is that my health bar’s appearance doesn’t change unless I quit the game and reload, which is bullshit)
now comes the part in psychonauts where I was unaware that obtaining a cobweb duster was necessary for moving on and now have to run around in the dark dodging bears to scrape together 800 points for one
further thoughts on Psychonauts now that I’ve completed level 2:
- The audio does weird things every now and then? Voices and sound effects will skip out but the music and ambient background noise will still work, or vice versa. Sometimes it gets bad enough that I have to restart the game to fix it.
- Weirdly enough, the scripted cutscenes look worse than the in-game graphics - normally it’s the other way around. Both this and the noise thing might just be a porting issue.
- I referenced an LP once when I was stuck on the first level - I didn’t know you could punch walls with cracks in them, haha - and the graphics looked… really different? Like, what to me was just a bunch of orange static that could hurt you was fire for them, and other things were different colors. I guess they were playing the xbox version? It was odd.
- I’m not exactly thrilled with the way “g*psy” keeps getting thrown around by Raz as an adjective when talking about his background as a circus kid (couldn’t you have said circus caravan instead, game?), and there was also another icky line about the camp being on “an old Indian burial ground… for arrowheads!” that I’m not fond of, either.
- Aside from that, though, most of the dialogue and other writing has been really witty and charming, if a little dark. Which is definitely something I like a lot, even if it’s not for everyone, hahaha. It actually reminds me of Portal/Portal 2 a lot, which I guess it would have to given that Eric Wolpaw was one of the writers.
- I really like Raz. His voice acting is great, his animation and design are definitely some of the best in the game so far, and he’s a sweetheart under the cocky attitude.
- The level design is really great - it’s by far the most visually interesting platformer I’ve played so far. Heck, half the time I forget it’s a platformer at all.
PSYCHONAUTS IS A REALLY GREAT GAME WOW
GO BUY IT IT’S ONLY $2.49 ON STEAM FOR THE NEXT FIVE HOURS
sure, the controls can be difficult sometimes and the camera fucks up every now and then, but the sheer creativity completely makes up for it
like WOW I’m so glad this game somehow miraculously works on my Mac for no reason?!? how